Friday Five – Fitness Decisions and Goals
As I mentioned in my last blog post, I am going to try to do the Friday Five, to engage with more bloggers and hopefully get to know them a bit better (as well as “you” getting to know me as well!).
What’s a Friday Five? Well:
Every Friday, Mar at Mar On the Run and fellow Washington, DC area bloggers Cynthia at You Signed Up For What?! and Courtney from Eat Pray Run DC to host the Friday Five linkup. Anyone can join with their own Friday Five post (note, it must be a Friday Five) then you link back to one or more of the hosts. The idea is to visit other blogs on the linkup, comment, share and engage!
The Themes are:
FIRST FRIDAY – FITNESS
SECOND FRIDAY – FOOD & DRINK
THIRD FRIDAY – FAVORITES
FOURTH FRIDAY – FREE FRIDAY
In months with a FIFTH FRIDAY, it’s another FREE FRIDAY – woot!!
So let’s get started, shall we?
Since it’s the first Friday, that means I’ll be talking about Fitness. It’s a fresh new month as well, so why not map out my fitness decisions and goals for the rest of the year?
1) To Bootcamp or not To Bootcamp, that is the question.
I’ve been going to bootcamp the last couple of months, and I’m really enjoying it. It’s challenging and it’s with a group of women (and the odd man occasionally) who are all pretty much at the same level. I’m in the beginner’s group but let me tell you it’s NOT easy. I’m not sure if I’m going to continue though. I’m really wavering. The cost is not so bad, but I already have a gym membership that I’m not using (because… I’ve been going to bootcamp) which makes it the same price as my old beloved gym (that I quit to save money). I’m thinking I am going to stop soon because I am honestly not sure I want to work out in the park when it’s cold and dark out. So… perhaps this is not really a goal, but a decision I need to make.
Have you ever done anything like bootcamp or crossfit? (I know the biggest difference is bodyweight vs. weights)
2) Change gyms? If I decide to stop bootcamp, I do know that I need a gym to go to. I tried to like my new gym but frankly it just sucks goats. I don’t need fancy but man, the staff at my old gym were so great and it was always easy to get a personal trainer to help now and again with form or function. Also getting a specified training program was free and they checked in with you every 4 weeks to see and discuss your progress or make adjustments. My membership is up at the end of September. I think I would go more often if I ACTUALLY LIKED where I was going. Definitely a dilema here.
Do you go to a gym? Do you think it makes a difference if it’s cheap and bare bones versus a little bit of luxury (as far as getting yourself TO the gym)?
3) Daily Rehab Foot exercises. Recovery is not going that well from my foot operation. Two days ago I was given some exercises to do to strengthen my foot muscles. So somehow (admittedly I’m terrible with working out at home) I need to find a way to incorporate doing a few exercises EVERY DAY for my foot so that I can finally recover from my operation. I started Thursday. I know it doesn’t take much time so I just have to do it.
This is actually a really great site for different foot issues: ePainAssist
4) Kettlebells – speaking of home exercises, my kettlebells are collecting dust. I want to use them to strengthen my core more to help with running in the future. I’d love to have any and all tips for kettlebell workouts in the time range of 15 – 20 min per day (do those exist?) If I don’t go to bootcamp then I need to do my core stuff at home OR the gym. A while back I was going to the nice gym and my core was tight (and my weight was down too) and I felt like I was running stronger. At the moment I don’t feel like I’m very strong at all.
Do you use kettlebells to strengthen your core? Have any kettlebell workout tips?
5) Planking – Last but not least… I was participating in a 5 minute plank challenge in August. I did not complete the challenge. I did make it to three minutes! I would definitely like to reach that goal of 5 minutes before the end of the year. 3 months! Plenty o’ time.
Do you plank? Can you plank for more than 3 minutes? Do you do variations of planks or the good old fashioned regular plank?
Do you feel inspired by a new month to have new fitness goals? Or do you like to check in with yourself occasionally and tweak the ones you already have?
Don’t forget to visit the one or more of the hosts with your own Friday Five!